Resource Roundup: Coding Information and Resources for Kids
Teaching kids about coding and technology is a hot topic, but why is it important for kids to learn coding? There are several compelling reasons. One of which is that coding a new language in its own right and it’s always good to stretch children’s minds with new languages. After all, language teaches children a variety of communication strategies and how to think through a problem logically. Creativity is part of coding, and learning to code will allow children to stretch their creative muscles in and exciting ways. The organization required by coding will help kids become more organized in their thinking in all subjects. It also helps kids work on their problem-solving skills, and develop strategies to approach problems across all disciplines. Now that the importance of learning coding has been established, here are the resources and information needed to teach coding to kids.
What Are the Most Important Beginner Topics of Coding?
- HTML Definition
- HTML for Kids: What is HTML, Anyway?
- Web Design for Kids: HTML Structure
- Tech 101: The Ultimate Guide to CSS
- CSS Beginner Tutorial
- Welcome to Kids Learning Code’s Introduction to HTML & CSS
- Server-side and Client-side Programming
How Can My Child Learn to Code?
There are a variety of free resources available across the Internet to teach kids about coding. Some are set up so that children can work independently, while other resources will require more adult intervention. Adults who don’t know an algorithm from a gigabyte shouldn’t worry that all is lost. There are many resources available to kids who don’t have access to adults with coding backgrounds. One thing that is required to learn coding is proper technology. High-speed Internet is required to access many online resources. However, these web-based tutorials don’t require computers with lots of processing power. Instead, any computer with a good internet connection should provide kids with the machine they need to learn coding, including web-only devices like Google Chromebooks. If the child progresses, they might wish to use professional-grade tools, which would require a more powerful machine. Coders use both PCs and Apple products, so each family can decide which they prefer.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Teaching Kids Coding (Even When You Don’t Know How to Code)
- Want to Teach Coding? Here’s Where to Begin
- Tips for Teaching Coding to Kids
- Teaching Elementary Students to Code: Where to Start
- Teaching Kids to Code
- Kodable: Hour of Code
- Introducing the Basic Concept of Algorithm: Following and Giving Instructions (PDF)
- Basic Computer Coding
- Programming 100: A Starter Course that Introduces Beginner Students in Lower Elementary Grades to Programming Concepts Using Tynker Blocks
What ages are appropriate for coding?
Coding is a creative process through which children take charge of computers by telling the computer what task it should perform and how it should perform the job. Most lessons aimed at kids use content they will find interesting. This means that lessons regarding coding have usually been gamified, which makes it fun for kids of all ages to learn. The gamification element, along with the inherent fun of many of the lessons, means that children as young as five can begin to learn how to code. There are lessons aimed at various age groups so that adults can find lessons appropriate for the age level of interests of the kids in their lives.
- Daisy the Dinosaur
- Teach Programming with Move the Turtle App for Education
- Kids Ruby
- CS First: A Free Computer Science Curriculum
- Learning Programming on Khan Academy
What Are the Different Languages of Coding?
DIGITAL STRATEGY + DESIGN
- UX Design Company
- Design Sprint
- Design User Research
- Innovation Consulting Firms
- UI Consulting
- Software Product Design And Development
CUSTOM SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
- Mobile App Development Agency
- Web Application Development Company
- Web Portal Development
- Legacy Application Modernization
- Software Development Services
- Insurance Software Services