SERVICES | CUSTOM SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
Your customer-facing software needs more than a facelift.
Delight existing customers and capitalize on new opportunities for growth with a custom-developed software application people will love and want to use.
Talk to us
Increase customer retention and profitability
Modernize your outdated applications
Provide insanely intuitive customer service
Your entire business likely hinges on this. one. decision.
Pouring over cost-benefit analyses
Quibbling over insourcing vs. outsourcing, innovating vs. obeying constraints, modernizing vs. maintaining
Worrying about whether your competitors will beat you to the punch
Your business is literally hinging on this investment. There’s not one department that’s not impacted by the decision to design custom software; therefore, there’s not one department head who’s not highly opinionated about what it should look like, how it should be built, how much it should cost, and how soon it should deliver.
You’re the one who has to address every stakeholder’s concern, align every stakeholder’s interest, and make every stakeholder happy.
Either, you’re a CX leader at your company and your reputation is on the line over software. Only you’re not a software expert.
Or, you’re a technology leader forced to outsource and give up control, yet it’ll still be on you if it goes wrong.
That means, the custom software development firm you hire to help you build it means the success or failure of the entire project. And potentially your idea. Your business. Your job.
What could possibly go wrong?
- You have no visibility or communication with your development team.
- The software doesn’t deliver or doesn’t work.
- The software isn’t built to support your complex needs or scale.
- You don’t know how to use the software.
- Your customers don’t want to use the software.
- You can’t maintain the software.
- You run out of money.
- You’re forced to take all the blame if something goes wrong.
In short, everything could go wrong.
What Is Custom Software Development?
What Is Custom Software Development?
Custom software development is a lot what it sounds like. We define custom software as an individualized software solution developed to meet an organization’s specific needs. Custom software solutions are unique, innovative solutions with capabilities and features beyond anything provided by a standard or off-the-shelf solution.
Typically, a business chooses to build a customized software solution in-house, or to outsource the development to experts who have the tools and skill sets to complete a project from start to finish. While choosing custom software development requires an investment of both time and money, it results in an invaluable end product that can bring great ROI and is exactly what your company needs.
The Details Behind The Definition
Custom solutions are designed with the company in mind and targeted at a specific need or set of needs. While custom software development’s exact meaning can (and will!) shift depending on the company and their individual requirements, custom software’s definition can include any of the following:
- A unique solution serving as a competitive advantage
- A way to solve previously-unsolvable business problems
- A new source of revenue
- A brand-building tool
- An interactive engagement tool
- A major boost to efficiency and productivity
- A way to integrate and consolidate data, systems, and processes
Why Choose Custom Software Development?
There are many reasons why a company would opt for a custom software product over an off-the-shelf solution. One of the main reasons is that the out-of-the-box functionalities of a commercial product simply do not meet all of the requirements of the company. Another driver in choosing custom software development is a desire to innovate. Custom software is a good solution for any company with a business-first mentality.
- Achieve a competitive advantage
- Solve a business problem
- Create a new source of revenue
- Offers customers a new capability
Improve Processes and Productivity
- Combine multiple systems and internal processes
- Boost speed, efficiency and productivity
- Improve data integrity and accuracy
- Implement scalable, flexible, adaptable solutions
- Custom software development can provide major gains for both your business and your customers.
Will Your Business Benefit From Custom Software Development?
Custom software development is appropriate for any innovative company with a results-first mentality. Companies wondering whether or not it’s worth the time and investment to develop their own software solution can ask themselves several questions prior to engaging in a project.
- Do we want to expand our business? Do we put our business first, and are we focused on results?
- Do we want to innovate? Would a new functionality or capability improve our competitive stance?
- Are any of our processes slow, inefficient, manual or disjointed? Do any of our processes no longer meet our needs?
- Are we relying on multiple software applications to do one thing? Would we benefit from integrating any of our existing systems?
- Do we have an effective, easy-to-use, consolidated platform to communicate with each other and customers? Would our data be more accurate with an automated solution?
- Do we have an idea that isn’t easily accomplished with existing, out-of-the-box solutions?
If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, it may be time to stop asking “what is custom software development” and start thinking about getting custom software developed.
Getting Started With Customized Software Development
While off-the-shelf software has its place, investing in custom software development clearly has advantages. Custom software can offer a high ROI that is often felt immediately.
Want to know more about what customized software is and what it could do for your business? Talk to experts who build custom software for a living. Interview multiple providers and be sure to find a team who will take the time to listen to your needs, work with you on an optimized design, and develop your solution using best practices and transparent communication.
Building customer-facing software is a bit like building a rocket and sending it to the moon…
You only get one shot.
- To hold on to your customer base
- To go after new customers
- To scale your business
- To be first to market
- To capitalize on a market opportunity through digital innovation
- To prove yourself
The last thing you want to do is hire a rocket scientist, build the rocket, and send it to the moon, only to find out when it crashes that the rocket wasn’t built right. And you never get to the moon. And you still have to pay for the rocket scientist and the rocket. And you still get fired at the end.
You need to know well before takeoff exactly what you’re getting.
You need predictability and control.
Considering all the moving parts, this was a project management masterpiece. Besides our group, there were other internal tech teams, outside consultants and branding agencies, and a new engineering team who were touching the project on a daily basis. Praxent did a great job of keeping us organized.
Greg Stewart, COO, Bungalo
They’re the easiest company we’ve ever worked with. The whole team is always in sync and easily stays on top of our tight timeline and budget. There have been no surprises whatsoever.
Reverse Mortgage Provider
Now, more than ever, you need a partner—an entire team—
who will help you get to where you need to be.
- Who is as invested in the success of your company’s custom software development as you are.
- Who will guide you, counsel you, be with you every step of the way to adapt to your changing needs and pivot with you when necessary.
- Who will mitigate risk and uncertainty over time thanks to proven custom software application strategy, design, and development processes.
- Who will ensure your software will be built right the first time—before even getting out of the design phase.
- Who will ensure your software will deliver on time.
- Who will ensure your software will be built on budget with a fixed-cost variable scope model that involves setting a budget and working with you to stay within that budget.
- Who will tie every collaborative decision back to your desired outcome so there are no surprises.
- Who gives you the confidence to step away and get back to doing what you do best—your job.
- Who will have your back and prove to you with every sprint you can lean on them to help you navigate your way through the new economy and constantly changing world.
What happens when you have all of the above in your software development company?
Your software works.
Your software delivers on time and on budget.
You get your life back.
You get software users love and want to use.
You delight your existing customers and attract new ones.
You’re able to go to market or expand into a new market.
Your software solves your business problem and helps you accomplish your business goals.
You not only get to keep your job but you earn a promotion.
You have a team you can count on for the life of your custom software development project—from conception to completion to knowledge transfer to post-launch support—and the life of your business.
Let’s face it – your customer’s expectations are only getting higher and your development backlog isn’t getting any smaller.
You need a trusted partner to level up your CX and instantly extend your specialized development team.
Over 300 Projects
4.8*s out of 5
100+ designers & developers
Four years running
Best Places to Work in Fintech
Whatever you need, we’ll build it with and for you.
At Praxent, we know your industry, we speak your language, and we take up your cause to build business software that truly serves your business.
Here’s how we do it.
1. Start small
Small projects bring quick wins that build momentum for acting on learnings.
2. Build together
We combine strategy, design, and development with expert project management and work collaboratively alongside you.
3. Own the outcome
We’re here to work ourselves out of a job — and we aren’t successful until we make you successful.
You are the expert on your operation. Let us turn your expertise into growth.
“There was a lot of open and honest feedback back and forth provided by both of our teams which really made us feel like partners together more than just parties in a transaction. Praxent also has a very organized, methodical method of tracking budgets and milestones that really sets them apart from other consultancies and helps them to keep everyone in the engagement satisfied.”
Senior Business Development Analyst, International Energy Provider
What you can expect
Developing custom software is more than buying a product — it’s investing in innovation as a core competency. We shape our clients’ investments with a rational view of returns, a holistic view of processes, and a deep understanding of what your customers, partners, and teams truly value. Successful engagements with our custom software development services include:
Direct access to an empowered project champion and any of your development resources
Tailored engagements across our Design and Development services
Investments of $100K to $1M, including strategy, design and development
Learn more about our expertise in custom software services
Finopotamus has assembled a panel of experts in a recurring series, The Industry Leaders Forum (ILF). Each…
New borrower portal drives efficiencies, boosts conversions Praxent, a fintech product agency with more than two decades…
ISI partners with Praxent to help insurers boost efficiency, retention, and customer acquisition Praxent, a financial services…
The stakes have never been higher, and the time to get started on development for your company’s dream software has never been better than right now.
To give you an idea of what your investment might look like, we’ve put together a downloadable pricing guide that includes pricing estimates by product type, set-priced starter engagements and information on what impacts the price of your product and tips for saving money.
Let’s develop your customer-facing software together.
See how you can delight your customers and grow your business.
Page written by Tim Hamilton, CEO and Founder of Praxent.