WORK WITH US
Software Engineering Manager
Named a Best Company to Work For in Texas 4 years in a row, Praxent is a full-service digital consultancy that values people and interactions over processes and tools.
We work closely with our customers to brainstorm, develop, and deliver creative software solutions. At Praxent, you will enjoy the freedom to do the work you love while working in a casual environment with people who genuinely care about the quality and impact of their work. Praxent is family-friendly with virtually no travel, flexible scheduling, and occasional telecommuting.
We partner with growing companies to unlock the dormant potential within their organizations through technology, delivered reliably with exemplary service and support.
You are responsible for ensuring that our engineering team has all the tools, resources, and confidence it needs to predictably deliver successful software. You are a mentor and a coach, aligning the personal goals of the individual with the broader needs of the project and the team. You integrate seamlessly with clients and cross-functional teams, ensuring that our engineering efforts are integrated into the predictable delivery process. You elevate our practice, navigating our accumulation of best practices and new technologies.
“Customers will never love a company
until the employees love it first.”
– Simon Sinek
The Ideal Candidate
- You are an integrator, as excited about solving business and people problems as you are engineering puzzles.
- You are energized by the creation of value and love nothing more than figuring out how to support a business function with as little code as possible.
- You are a visionary, capable of seeing the big picture and communicating it back to your team in a way that drives alignment and collaboration.
- You value consistency and love working cross-functionally and cross-discipline to ensure best practices are being followed and evolved.
- You have a history of successfully estimating large complex projects and leading teams to deliver on time and on budget.
- You have delivered work to production in an agile development team.
- You are energized by the fact that client needs might change and that the backlog will evolve.
- You’re comfortable suggesting alternative modes of implementation if you think it will provide a better customer and client experience.
- You thrive when you are providing development services within constraints.
- You continuously seek to improve the world around you.
- Human Capital Management – Builds and manages workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs.
- Accountability – Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work.
- Customer Service – Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
- Team Building – Inspires and fosters team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. Facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
- Empowerment – The ability to enhance others’ commitment to their work by conveying confidence in employees’ ability to be successful, especially at challenging new tasks; delegating significant responsibility and authority.
- Vision – Takes a long-term view and builds a shared vision with others; acts as a catalyst for organizational change. Influences others to translate vision into action.
- Goal Setting – The ability to develop and communicate goals in support of the business’ mission.
- Decisiveness – Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced, self-directed work environment.
- Architecture: Experience defining the architecture of cloud-deployed applications (AWS and Azure preferred); Expert knowledge of database design and data architecture.
- Devops: Experience defining and driving DevOps/SysOps best practices within small or large teams; Experience leading teams toward continuous delivery.
- Work well in an agency environment and be able to get the job done.
Who Should Apply
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline or relevant experience.
- 8+ years experience in building and deploying service-oriented cloud-based applications
- Leadership: 5+ years leading software development teams; Experience mentoring small teams of engineers
- Experience working in software teams with Agile, Scrum and Kanban methodologies.
- Strong understanding of software development life-cycle and best practices.
- Previous development firm/agency environment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Authorized to work in U.S.
Company benefits include: paid time off (vacation, public holidays & sick leave), health insurance, long-term and short-term disability, parental leave, company-wide professional development fund, IRA with company match, weekly catered lunch, flexible scheduling, occasional telecommuting and a casual work environment.
Think you might be the perfect fit?
Praxent was founded 19 years ago and our leadership team has a collective 39 years of experience.
We love our clients and our team and we plan to grow responsibly so that we can continue doing good work with great people.
Founder + CEO
Having founded Praxent over sixteen years ago, Tim is actively involved in the strategy and operation of the firm with a passion for perfecting the process of software development and building a world-class culture. With degrees in MIS and Economics from UT Austin, Tim has extensive experience with enterprise IT and business management.
With more than twenty-three years of experience delivering business software solutions for more than 150 organizations, Kevin is responsible for the delivery of our innovative web and mobile-based software solutions. He provides strategic and technical oversight to all client engagements to ensure we develop quality products and deliver exemplary client experiences.
Curious about our team?
We host a weekly team huddle grounded in transparency and communication: we give financial and recruiting updates, share both the wins and struggles of current projects, unite around quarterly themes, and “cheers” individuals for their accomplishments.
We believe “fun” and “work” can be synonymous… team members venture out for Burger Friday, we relax at Praxent Socials, family members join quarterly celebrations, and we shut out the world to flex our creative muscles at hackathons.