Homeward Design Thinking, Strategy and Visual Branding
Design thinking and human-centered strategy uncover a disruptive innovation in home lending.
We delivered a Design Sprint that uncovered a significant strategic opportunity within the crowded home buying market and supported Homeward in securing $25M in funding with brand strategy and design.
- Uncover the best competitive opportunity by analyzing the existing landscape and the present day customer journey
- Name and develop brand positioning for Homeward
- Produce brand identity and supporting visual design assets including a new website to effectively communicate Homeward’s value proposition
- Identifying Blue Ocean opportunities in a highly competitive space
- Communicating Homeward’s complex solution to prospective customers in a concise and effective manner
- Defining a visual brand to stand out among well-known competitors
- Funding the business model and obtaining financial backers
- Homeward secured $25M in funding
- User research informed the creation of a homebuyer customer journey and highlighted friction points for innovation
- We utilized Jobs to be Done and the Strategy Canvas to design a Blue Ocean strategy that lead to a differentiated mortgage product in an otherwise crowded space
- Created cohesive brand to represent Homeware, including logo, visuals and messaging
- Provided platform to help needy homeowners achieve their next real estate dream
- Helped the owner realize his vision for a better way of helping people transition from their current home to dream home via brand, website, and other supporting materials
Cohesive Brand Communicated Through Website, Collateral To Attract End Users
Homeward is a digital solution for people transitioning from the house they own to the house they will buy. The company eliminates the pain point of trying to sell a current home and buy the next one without being homeless in between. Homeward works by purchasing (“holding”) someone's new house for them while they’re in the selling phase, then selling it to them once they’re ready to move in. This allows homebuyers to manage the process painlessly.
While Homeward knew who they wanted to be, they struggled to explain their identity and offerings in a way that consumers could easily understand. They also needed to stand out from the competition in their saturated marketplace, using color and style and details.
Homeward came to us looking for help with branding and marketing. They needed a complete visual brand including logo, fonts, voice and a style guide. Once the brand was established, they needed help with a new marketing website design, as well as supporting sales collateral including business cards and yard sign designs, and an investor pitch deck.
DIGITAL BUSINESS STRATEGY
- Conduct user research on how customers perceive brand
- Iterate on copy repeatedly to refine messaging to reflect brand identity
- Go through complete brand redesign
BRANDING AND WEBSITE DESIGN
- Create brand graphics, inclusive of colors, fonts and icon marks
- Design and build marketing website from the ground up
- Provide tools, via the website, for customers during a home transition
Business Strategy & Branding To Determine Vision, Identity, And Positioning
Homeward was looking to undergo a brand overhaul and a complete redesign of their identity. They knew who they wanted to be, but were struggling with the best way to communicate their complex offering and unique value propositions to prospective clients. They needed people to understand what they did and how they could help make the home transition process easier, but didn’t know how.
To begin to get in the heads of customers and learn what messaging and branding would resonate best, we went through an intensive business strategy process including the following:
- Created a customer journey map through an exercise
- Conducted a competitor analysis
- Created a Blue Ocean strategy canvas
- Developed mood boards
- Conducted user research to understand pain points related to the home-transition process
The processes above revealed insights that guided brand positioning, copy, and design choices. From here, we presented the following deliverables:
- Positioning statements and language
- Messaging deck
- On-brand website copy
- Fresh design for a public facing marketing website
Translated Results Into Coherent Visual Brand Plus Supporting Marketing Collateral
Once the new brand was established and the logo created, we worked on developing a website for Homeward. As the brand didn’t have an existing site, we built everything from the ground up. To aid in development of the site we presented the following deliverables:
- Click Model (prototype)
- Logo, fonts, branding / style guide, voice descriptions
- Messaging deck
In addition to appealing to prospective customers, Homeward was also facing a challenge related to their business model. They needed investors to back them in order to support the “buying” phase of their process, and they were seeking funding. We supported this aspect of their business by creating a variety of sales enablement materials they could use in meetings with investors, where the new brand messaging was also effective. These included:
- Business cards
- Investor pitch deck
- Yard sign designs
Let's team up
Ready to gain competitive advantage?